Cherry Blossom Tree
By Daisy, Mary, Jamie
- The cherry blossom is also known as the Japanese cherry or in Japanese ‘Sakura’.
- It can grow up to 20-30 feet high.
- It takes about 10-20 years for the cherry blossom to grow up to its full height.
- Its bloom time is from late March to April and they only bloom for a week.
- This is the Japanese sign for ‘Sakura’.
- There are 100 different varieties of the cherry blossom tree.
- When a cherry blossom blooms it is a sign of good luck. It’s also a symbol of love.
- It is the Japanese national flower.
- They are not always pink.
- Cherry blossom leaves are edible and are used as ingredients in Japanese food.
- The cherry blossom is a symbol for renewal.
- The most common species of cherry blossom is the Someiyoshino and they’re poisonous to animals.
- The Japanese rugby union team is nicknamed ‘the brave blossoms’ with the flowers on their jerseys.