The Fun FRIENDS and Friends for Life Programmes were developed by Dr. Paula Barrett to help guide the social and emotional development of young children by using fun, play-based group activities.
The Fun Friends and Friends for Life programmes are designed to:
- Build resilience through social and emotional skills development.
- Empower children, families and teachers.
- Promote peer learning through play and experiential/inquiry learning.
- Encourage support networks and positive role models.
The programmes help children to practice the following skills:
- Smiling and looking people in the eye
- Speaking with a confident voice
- Talking about feelings and also understanding other people’s feelings (development of empathy)
- Helping other people – peers, family and teachers
- Body clues
- How to relax
- Making friends
- Being brave and happy
- Trying new things – making step plans
- ‘Red’ and ‘Green’ Thoughts, and other essential life skills